Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Admissions and Application
Scholarships and Financial Matters
Accommodation and Living Expenses
Immigration and Travel Matters
Career Placements
Academic Calendar
  Quick Links




Admissions and Application


Q. What are the coursework and research programmes available?

Our degree programmes include the Master of Laws (LLM) and the Doctor of Philosophy (PhD). LLM students can pursue specializations in a variety of areas, including Asian Legal Studies, Corporate and Financial Services Law, Intellectual Property & Technology Law, International Arbitration & Dispute Resolution, International & Comparative Law and Maritime Law. We also offer the LLM in International Business Law, taught in partnership with the East China University of Political Science and Law. 

We also offer the Graduate Diploma in Maritime Law and Arbitration Arbitration (GDMLA)(Full/Part-time) and the Graduate Certificate in International Arbitration (GCIA)(Part-time only). Please refer to the following for details:



Q. Are the LLM programmes conducted on a full-time or part-time basis and in Singapore?

All programmes are conducted on a full-time basis, with the exception of the LLM in Maritime Law which may also be offered on a part-time basis, giving students the flexibility to complete the course in two years. All programmes are conducted in Singapore.  

Students enrolled in the International Business Law programme will spend the entire Semester 1 (August - December) in Singapore. In Semester 2 (January- May), they will relocate to the East China University of Political Science and Law in Shanghai.

Q. Do you have any graduate programmes available via distance-learning? 

All programmes are conducted on-campus.

Q. What are the admission requirements? 

For the PhD programme, we require a good Bachelor’s or first degree in Law (LLB/BA/JD); OR a good Master’s degree in Law (LLM/BCL/MJur/MPhil) with a relevant Bachelor’s Degree; OR relevant equivalent qualifications.

For the LLM programmes, a good Bachelor’s degree in Law is required. 

In addition, the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is required for all foreign applicants except those from English-medium institutions in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, the United Kingdom and the United States.  

Applicants must submit an internet-based TOEFL (iBT) score of minimum 100. Other TOEFL paper-based score of 600-603 and IELTS of minimum 7 will be considered but we strongly prefer the iBT. 

Please refer to for details.

Q: Can I apply for the programme if I do not meet the English requirement? 

We require students to have a strong proficiency in English in order to cope with the curriculum demands. We would, therefore, advise that applicants meet our English requirement in order to apply for the programme.

Q: Q. Is GRE required?

We do not require applicants to submit GRE.

Q: When do applications open and what is the deadline for submitting an application?  

Applications are invited beginning 1 October. The application deadline is 1 December for admission in August in the following year.


Q: How do I submit my application?  

You may apply online at Please follow the instructions as set out at and mail the completed application form along with supporting documents to us.

Q: After applying online, can I upload the supporting documents or should I mail the supporting documents?

Please do not upload supporting documents but mail them with the printed online form, duly signed, to our office. For PhD applicants, please upload soft copies of your supporting documents in addition to submitting hard copies.
Applications will NOT be processed without application fee payment and supporting documents.

Q: What are the supporting documents I have to submit? 

Please refer to for a list of supporting documents which are required to complete your application.

Q: Must I submit original academic transcripts?  

NUS requires applicants to submit original transcripts. Applicants should request their universities to provide transcripts in sealed envelopes with the university stamp and/or university representative’s signature on the envelope flaps. The transcripts can then be enclosed together with the other supporting documents to be mailed to our office. Our mailing address is as follows: 

Admissions - Graduate Programmes
Faculty of Law
National University of Singapore
Eu Tong Sen Building
469G Bukit Timah Road
Singapore 259776

Q: I am waiting for some documents to reach me (eg. transcripts, referee reports) and may miss the application deadline. What should I do?

You should submit the application and all available materials before the application deadline first and furnish the rest no later than one week after the closing date. We strongly encourage applicants to submit complete applications as far as possible.

Q: Where can I find the application instructions? 

The application instructions can be found at

Q: How can I make payment for the application? 

Please refer to ‘Application fee’ for more information.

Q: When can I know the outcome of my application? 

Applicants will be informed via email in early April. A functional email address should be provided in the application form. Once applicants accept the offer, more details on immigration, medical examination, accommodation etc. will follow via email by mid-May.

Q: Who can I approach to be my referees? 

We require two academic referees. Only if you have left school for a number of years, will we accept one professional referee and one academic referee.  

Q: How should my referees submit their referee reports? 

When completing the online application form, applicants should complete the contact details of their referees, including a functional email address. After submitting the application online, an e-mail will be sent to each referee to prompt them to complete an online referee’s report form. Referees are strongly encourage to submit their reports online.

Q: I missed this year’s application cycle. Can I still apply? 

We regret that we are unable to accept applications beyond the stipulated application deadline.


Scholarships and Financial Matters

Q: What are the scholarships and financial assistance available?

We have a limited number of scholarships available and applicants are strongly encouraged to secure alternative financing in the event that they are not awarded scholarships. 

Financial assistance is available in the form of Tuition Fee Loans. The maximum loan quantum is 90% of the tuition fees payable by Singapore Citizens for the same course.

Please refer to for details.

Q: How can I apply for scholarships? 

Applicants will have to indicate “Scholarship” under ‘source of finance’ in the online application form. Please provide a one-page write-up on why you should be awarded a scholarship.

Applicants for admission to the PhD programme should select “Scholarship”, “Commonwealth Scholarship” or “President’s Graduate Fellowships” under ‘Source of Finance’ in the online form. For the President’s Graduate Fellowship (funded by Lee Kong Chian Scholarship), preference is given to candidates who exhibit leadership ability and commitment to community service. Please provide a record of co-curricular activities or community services.

Q: What are the tuition fees?  

Please visit for our fee information. In addition to the tuition fees, there are some mandatory miscellaneous fees payable.  Details are set out at   

Q: Do I need to submit a financial statement with my application? 

There is no need to submit a financial statement but applicants are strongly advised to work out their financial needs and secure their own financial arrangements. Some students take out loans in their home jurisdiction, sometimes connected to obligations to work for a government or for a firm.

Q: May I work part-time in Singapore while enrolled as a graduate international student

Full-time international graduate students may work part-time during semester up to a maximum of 16 hours per week, unless they hold a scholarship that requires approval for the employment application.


Accommodation and Living Expenses
Q: Are there hostels available at the Bukit Timah Campus?  

Hostels are available at the main Kent Ridge Campus. Other options for private housing around Bukit Timah and Kent Ridge Campuses are set out at 

Please refer to the Office of Student Affairs website at for more information on hostel application.

Q: How much should I set aside for living expenses? 

We estimate that living expenses in Singapore for ten months will fall in the range of S$9,000 to S$15,000 in total.



Immigration and Travel Matters
Q: How can international students obtain a Student’s Pass?    

All international students must hold a valid Student’s Pass issued by the Singapore Immigration and Checkpoints Authority for their studies at NUS. 

Once an international applicant indicates acceptance of the offer, NUS will submit an application for the Student’s Pass on behalf of the applicant. Each new application must be submitted at least one month and not more than two months before the commencement of the course.  

Please refer to the Singapore Immigration & Checkpoints website at

Q: What should I prepare in advance when travelling to Singapore? Where can I obtain more information to settle down in Singapore? 

The Office of Student Affairs website at offers a wealth of relevant information.

Q: When do I need to surrender my Student Pass? 

According to the Singapore Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA), an international student holding a Student’s Pass must surrender it for cancellation within 7 days of the date of cessation or termination of studies. For more details:



Career Placements
Q: What are the career placements for graduates?    

Career placement services are currently not available in NUS. However, internship and job vacancies can be found on  NUS TalentConnect, an online job portal which provides NUS students with direct access to full-time and part-time job opportunities. Students may also be able to get periodic updates at our Law Career Services website at

Q: What are the job prospects in Singapore after the LL.M. programme? 

A majority of our LLM graduates would return to their home country for career advancements while some have also chosen to pursue a career in Singapore, such as in academia at NUS.

Q. Will I be able to work/intern while I am a student at NUS?

As a full time matriculated student at NUS with a valid Student Pass, you will be able to work/intern without having to apply for a work pass:
(a) full time during the university vacation periods; and
(b) for a maximum of 16 hours a week during term time.

If you are are waiting for your final examination results or commencement, you can also work without a work pass if the waiting period falls within your vacation. For more details:

Q. What career services are available to graduate students? 

Career Coaching – individual sessions providing general career advice, resume & cover letter critique, mock interviews and preferences profiling. Email: to schedule an appointment.

Events - lunchtime talks, panel discussions or workshops are organised to equip students with career and workplace knowledge and competencies.

Careers Fair – a careers fair is organised annually to provide our students a chance to network with law firms and other potential employers.

LAMP – The Law Alumni Mentor Programme (LAMP) aims to connect first and second year NUS Law students with experienced alumni lawyers to provide networking opportunities, as well as, insight and guidance on career and professional development issues. From 2018, the programme has been extended to include LL.M. students who are keen to gain an insight into the practice of law in Singapore.


Academic Calendar
Q: What is the academic calendar like? 

Our semester commences in August each year. Please refer to for the semester dates. Currently, the Special Terms do not apply to Faculty of Law graduate students.