Member Details

Name Faculty of Law, University of Colombo
Address Philip Gunawardena Mw, Colombo 07, SRI LANKA
Join Date 30/05/2019
Website https://law.cmb.ac.lk
The Faculty of Law of the University of Colombo, which is the only Faculty of Law in the entire University system of this country, traces its origin to the Department of Law in the Faculty of Arts of the then University of Ceylon established under the Ceylon University Ordinance No. 20 of 1942. The Department of Law was established in July 1947 under the Faculty of Arts. It was then located in “College House” which was previously known as “Regina Walawwa”, purchased by the government in 1920 for the purpose of setting up the University College which was the forerunner of the University of Ceylon.

Pursuant to the decision to locate the University of Ceylon in Peradeniya and pending the completion of the necessary buildings at the new site, the University of Ceylon functioned in the premises of the University College in Colombo. With the construction of a part of the buildings, the Department of Law was shifted to Peradeniya in 1950, where the first law degrees were awarded. However, the Department of Law was brought back to its original place when it was transferred to University of Ceylon, Colombo in 1965. It continued to be under the Faculty of Arts till 1967 when it was upgraded to become the first and only Faculty of Law in the University system, which position it continues to enjoy to this day. The University of Ceylon, Colombo became the University of Colombo with the introduction of the Universities Act No. 16 of 1978.